For the security of your home or business, it is essential to maintain the integrity of locks. There are instances when the locks are compromised due to various reasons such as shared or lost keys. When you aren’t sure about the integrity of locks and keys, you need to replace lock hardware. Lock rekeying is a cost-effective and efficient solution to make your locks secure without entire new lock installations.
Let us explore how lock rekeying works and when it can be an efficient solution to improve security.
What is Lock Rekeying?
Lock rekeying is the process of altering the internal components of a lock to make old keys incompatible and have a different key. Instead of replacing the entire lock hardware, a locksmith modifies the lock’s pins and tumblers to match a new key while rendering the old keys ineffective. With lock rekeying, you get to retain the same lock while changing the key, providing improved security without complete lock replacement.
If you need your locks rekeyed at your home or business, Chicago Locksmith Expert provides you reliable and affordable locksmith services at your location anywhere in the Chicago area, including suburbs such as Elmhurst, Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Bolingbrook, Schaumburg, Wheaton and Downers Grove.
How Does Lock Rekeying Work?
An expert locksmith can open a lock and rekey it. Here’s a brief overview of the lock rekeying process:
- Assessment: A locksmith will check the lock to determine if it is can be rekeyed. Most traditional pin and tumbler locks can be rekeyed.
- Disassembly: The locksmith disassembles the lock, removing the cylinder.
- Pin Replacement: The existing pins inside the lock cylinder are replaced with a new set that matches the new key’s pattern.
- Reassembly: After replacing the pins, the locksmith reassembles the lock cylinder and reinstalls it in the door.
- Key Testing: The locksmith tests the newly rekeyed lock with the new key to ensure smooth operation and proper functioning.
When is Lock Rekeying an Efficient Solution?
Lock rekeying is an effective and affordable alternative to replacement of locks. If the locks are in good shape, rekeying makes them like a new one with new set of keys. Here are a few scenarios when lock rekeying is effective.
- Change of Occupancy: When you buy a new house, it’s important that you get your house rekeyed to improve the security and integrity of locks. When you have new tenants moving into your rental property, lock rekeying is highly recommended. By rekeying the locks, you ensure that only authorized individuals have access to the premises, providing a higher level of security and peace of mind.
- Change in Employment: If you are a business where an employee with access to keys is leaving for any reason, the integrity of locks become questionable with possible copies of keys. A disgruntled employee is a risk to your business operation. Rekeying your locks in a commercial setting becomes essential.
- Lost or Stolen Keys: If you lose your keys or if your keys are stolen, replacing or rekeying the locks is essential to maintain security. Rekeying prevents unauthorized individuals from using the misplaced keys to gain entry to your property.
- Enhanced Security: Rekeying can be used to add high-security features into your existing locks, such as anti-pick pins or advanced keyways. This process enhances security without the need for complete lock replacements.
- Master Key Systems: When you require a master key system, lock rekeying can facilitate the implementation. A professional locksmith such as Chicago Locksmith Expert can rekey the locks to allow for a master key that grants access to multiple areas while providing individual keys for specific locations, ensuring convenient access and tailored security levels.
Benefits of Lock Rekeying
Lock rekeying offers several advantages, including:
Budget-Friendly: Rekeying proves to be a cost-effective alternative to replacing locks in your property. By rekeying, you avoid the expense of purchasing new hardware, making it a more economical choice.
Quick Solution: Compared with lock replacement, lock rekeying offers a quicker solution that can be completed in a relatively shorter span of time. It takes around 30 minutes to rekey a lock. All locks in an average house gets rekeyed within a few hours. With rekeying, you can enhance the security of your property promptly without significant disruptions to your daily routine.
Maintain Existing Hardware: One of the main benefits of lock rekeying is that it allows you to maintain your current locks. It is particularly advantageous if you have high-quality or visually appealing locks that you wish to retain. By choosing rekeying, you can upgrade your security while preserving the aesthetic appeal and functionality of your existing locks.